Saturday, September 15, 2012

Grocery Shopping and a New School


By the time we were getting ready for bed last night, my nerves were pretty well frayed and my emotions were a giant puddle of over-tired ooze. I had a good cry and told Mark I was homesick but knew it was just a result of not getting enough sleep for our two and a half days of travel and that I would be a new, more adventuresome person in the morning.

Thankfully, I was right and this morning, after about 11.5 hours of sleep, both Mark and I felt like new people. This morning Susan, one of the missionaries here, took us around town to buy some groceries and show us around a little bit. Open markets seem to be one of the best places to buy fresh goods, but for a lot of the packaged or refrigerated staples, like rice, coffee, butter, and so forth, stores are available and just as good to shop in.

The store that we went to, Frutas de Africa, was nice, but not like an American store. When I walked in, after squeezing past the crush of people, I was greeted by a very strong fish smell. I also noticed the store was pretty dark, with only a few electric lights spread around, somehow hanging down from a thatched ceiling. There was also a cat running around the store. Yes, a cat.

Food prices vary in comparison here to prices in America. Imported items are, in general, more expensive than in the U.S. Basically, it seems that if the average Mozambican wouldn’t use it, then it’s going to be more expensive than it would be in the U.S. If the average Mozambican eats it, then it’s going to be cheaper. (I don’t know if the cheap prices happened first or the Mozambicans’ food preferences—probably the latter?) A quart (or so—measurements are in metric) of milk is about $6.60. Cheese is about $10 per pound. Yikes! However, at least at the one store we went to, one pound of cheddar cost exactly the same as one pound of Gouda. So just for fun, we bought some Gouda! I don’t think we’ll be eating much cheese though, while we’re here! On the other hand, I was able to get about 4-5 onions for a dollar and bread is about $.15 per loaf.

After sharing a delicious lunch at Susan and John’s house, we drove out to the school I’ll be working at. Rapale has just moved to a new location and are only just, just, getting things up and running. Tomorrow is an open house for all the parents of the kids who go to Rapale to meet with the teachers and see the new building. I’m probably not going to know what I’m teaching until Monday, when I can meet with the woman who was teaching science last year. She’ll fill me in on what she was doing and I’ll be able to go from there. So, I’m going to get some excellent experience in planning lessons under the gun!

The school itself is beautiful. I’ll post some pictures later, hopefully (or at least when we get back—our Internet is very slow here). The school is L-shaped right now, with the hope that eventually it will be expanded into a U-shape and then eventually into different buildings. The classrooms are all connected by a wide veranda. Mike and Dilys, the couple who are running the school are very kind and full of the kind of cheerful energy that I admire.  

I can’t imagine a more beautiful setting for a school. It’s about 45 minutes out of town to the west and is surrounded by large granite stones that look like mountains sticking up out of the ground. The hills and trees roll for miles around, and the fine red dust that is so thick and invasive in every part of the city is practically non-existent.

All in all, we had a much better second day in Nampula and are looking forward to many more exciting days filled with work and exploration!

No comments:

Post a Comment