Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A Day in the Life: Teaching at Rapale International School


5:00 a.m. – My alarm goes off. It’s already getting light outside because this part of Mozambique is technically in the wrong time zone. It’s getting light by 5 a.m. and getting dark by 5 p.m. I can already hear people moving around on the streets outside the compound. But it still feels early.

6:10 a.m. – I say a hasty good-bye to Mark and then wait anxiously as he unlocks the door and the padlock on the outer door so I can run to the compound gate to catch the chapa I’ll take out to Rapale.

6:15 a.m. – Three kids and I climb on the chapa.

6:30 a.m. – We’ve made it through downtown Nampula and have picked up 11 of the 12 kids remaining. Because I’m a teacher (and maybe because I’m white?), I have the front seat next to the driver. The 15 kids are crammed into the back of what would be a 12-passenger van in the U.S. I wrestle with a moral dilemma: none of the children have seatbelts, nor are they remotely safe in the chapa. I have a seatbelt. Should I use it, even though all these children don’t have that luxury? I finally decide to clip the belt into place. If we roll over, maybe I won’t be as injured and can help all of the injured children.

6:40 a.m. – We’ve clattered and bumped our way down part of the dusty red road to Rapale. We have one more child to pick up. He’s not at his stop, so we turn down a smaller dusty red road and ride between mud huts roofed with grasses. People who may or may not ever have been into a town stare at this chapa full of Zimbabwean kids and one white woman. We pull up to the last child’s house. The driver turns on his siren (his siren? I didn’t know he had a siren on his chapa!) and all the kids cheer and hoot and holler. The boy comes out of his house and joins the crowded benches.

7:20 a.m. – We arrive at Rapale. Prayers have been answered and the chapa has once again made it over the ruts and rocks without breaking down or rolling over. I shake off the tension of the ride and get ready for the school day. I look at the unusually beautiful mountains surrounding the school and can’t believe I get to teach here.

7:40 a.m. – Teachers share a quick devotion time together and pray while kids play in the school yard.

8:00 a.m. – School starts with the ringing of a cowbell. Kids line up in the school yard and walk in an orderly fashion into their classrooms. I take up residence in the staff room/library. I open up my computer and my 1956 edition of The Abridged Dewey Decimal System and begin cataloging the books to the best of my ability. Next week I’ll be in charge of monitoring upper high school students as they work on chemistry, physics, and biology to prepare for the IGCSE (the English version of the SAT, I’ve heard), but they haven’t arrived in Moz yet.

10:30 a.m. – Children swarm the playground, which is mostly a dusty area covered sparsely with grass and a few trees. My goodness how these kids can climb trees! One kid brought a soccer ball, so some kids are playing an unorganized game of soccer. Excuse me, a game of football. The teachers gather in the staff room/library for tea or Milo, my new favorite unsweetened chocolaty beverage. A break for hot drinks! I’m going to suggest that we take up this tradition at the library.

11:00 a.m. – I finally get to teach! Today I’m teaching 8th and 9th graders. Only two in the class now, but two more will be coming in a week or two. We’re studying chemistry. Right now we’re reviewing material from last year, so classes are pretty low-key, mostly note-taking and talking through the material. The kids are troopers, though, and patiently waiting for some more hands-on work.

12:30 p.m. – Lunch time finds kids gathering on the edge of the veranda to eat their lunches and drink their water, brought from home. Then they play. Teachers gather in the staff room to drink another cup of tea, coffee, or Milo, or to stand in line for the copy machine. It’s not all work and no play, though. This is a very fun group of teachers.

1:00 p.m. – Only one hour of school left. I sit down at the computer and realize I’ve lost the last half hour of work I did before lunch. Apparently our building doesn’t get enough energy to power both the computer and the electric kettle at the same time. I figure out which books need to be cataloged again and then start cataloging new books, making a mental note to myself to figure out where computers and Internet should go in Dewey Decimal, since my archaic abridged copy doesn’t include those subjects.

2:00 p.m. – I pack up my stuff, take a deep breath, and climb on the chapa again, praying that we stay upright, don’t run over anyone on a bike or on foot, and that the engine and tires hold out over the hilly bumpy road.

3:30 p.m. – I step through the compound gate, a little dustier, and very tired, but happy. 

--Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment