Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Learning from Mozambique: Three Questions



What is the impact of culture on faith? How do I see life and the gospel differently because of what I’ve experienced?

Since being home, and being back to work at the library, I have been struck over and over again by how much ready access we have to entertainment in some form or another in the U.S. That new movie, Rock of Ages about some rock star (whose name escapes me) keeps coming to mind since I’ve been home. ‘Rock of Ages,’ is a name that Christians normally reserve for God. And what a true statement that makes about our American culture- to have a name reserved for God now used for an entertainer!

I know for me, whether I realize it or not, sometimes entertainment – in the form of books or movies or music – becomes an idol for me. I never, ever, ever am without a book to read. (Part of this is the fault of working in a library—reading is professional development, right??) I want to be more intentional in how I spend my time, intentional in being aware of how much entertainment I’m consuming regularly in comparison to how much of my ‘free’ time I’m spending on pursuits that honor God.

Also, again pertaining to the expectations I have toward God, I want to maintain a spirit of thankfulness and a lack of expectation when it comes to what God provides for me. Whether I realize it or not, I feel entitled to so many things that God has never actually told me that I’m entitled to. So, really, many of those things (like running water) are blessings that I should be spouting thanks for!

What does it mean to be a follower of Christ? What have I learned about discipleship?

When I was in Mozambique, I was blessed by honest and raw Christian fellowship among the teachers at RIS. We met every morning before school for a short devotion time. Many times someone would share a struggle that they were having or something that they needed to ask forgiveness for. I was challenged so much in my faith by this, and I was reminded how ‘one man sharpens another.’

When I was in college, I was a part of a small accountability group. Five ladies, myself included, met weekly to share how had been doing during the past week in the areas of spending time with God, Bible reading and memorization, sins in our lives, and other struggles and joys we’d experienced. We each shared, making an effort to be open and honest, and then we prayed together and for each other. That time was always so freeing and healing for me, and I’ve missed it ever since. As a result of experiencing that fellowship again on our trip, I want to make an effort to seek out other women who would like to form an accountability group with me right here where I live.

What’s of value? How do I live here in light of what I’ve seen there?

People are important. Relationships are important. When I was in Moz, so many missionary families, who are busy with work and have many responsibilities, took time to meet me and Mark and have us over for meals. They were quick to welcome us into their families. In the U.S., as this last week was proof, we have to purposefully and intentionally schedule time to meet with friends. I know that I have a tendency to let my day planner and to-do list dictate how much time I spend with people. I want to try to be less that way!

Also, having experienced being a ‘foreigner’ and an ‘outsider’ in another culture and country, I know that it can be lonely and overwhelming, especially if one doesn’t speak the language well! I want to make more time in my life and more room in my home to welcome the ‘foreigners’ and ‘outsiders’ in my own community.

I have answers to two more questions coming up in one more blog (my final Mozambique blog)!

--Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment