Monday, October 22, 2012

Departing with Mixed Emotions


Mark and I are getting packed up right now. We started last night, a little worried that the few breakable gifts that we want to bring home wouldn’t have a comfortable place to rest while making the journey, but somehow we’ve either mysteriously lost stuff while being over here, or we’ve become more efficient packers. We thought we would need hours and hours to pack, but somehow, we find ourselves ready to go at 8:00 in the morning, with four hours left before we need to make the trip to the airport.

I don’t know if my emotions could possibly be more mixed upon leaving Mozambique. Somehow, amid the dust, road congestion, smoldering trash heaps, and perpetual curious stares, Mozambique has wormed its way into my heart.

If I’m honest with myself, I guess I know how: Mozambique has captured me with its brightly colored capulanas; its impossibly gigantic bundles on heads and bikes; its roadside stands selling bananas, coconuts, bread, books, cell phones, sunglasses, clothing, cassava, and so many other things; its giant baobab trees and palm trees.

But most of all (and probably most predictably of all), the people have captured my heart. I love Rapale International School, but even more, I love the teachers and students who fill it with noise and life. I love all of the places I’ve visited, but even more I love the missionaries who have generously shared their lives, homes, and experiences with me. I love the brightly colored capulanas, but even more I love the people, some who have heard about the hope that Jesus gives, but so many who haven’t.

I’m so excited to see all the family and friends waiting for us at home. I’m excited to be able to drive myself to the grocery store, and I’m excited to eat ice cream and chocolate chips and drink herbal tea. But I’m also so sad to leave.

We may be leaving beautiful Mozambique, but our prayers will continue to go up on behalf of its missionaries and its people. Please join us in lifting up Mozambique in prayer!

--Hillary

No comments:

Post a Comment